What's Cooking (in Yvonne's Kitchen)?

I've changed the name of this blog to What's Cooking (in Yvonne's Kitchen) because I will be getting a kitchen of my own very soon, it maybe small but will be able to produce more goodies to share with everyone!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Deep Fried Tempeh Slices


I have tried the crispiest and most tasty fried tempeh at Vivan's when I first moved to JB and since then I have been hooked.

It's not that I have never had tempeh before this, but the wholesomeness in frying your own tempeh is fulfilling in the sense that you get to control the amount of oil in the tempeh and pair these crunchy babies with dip of your own.

When my kitchen was renovated, the contractors advised me not to cook as much, if possible, if I want my white cabinet doors to stay pristine, but that would be a torture for a
gourmand like myself who usually cook up a storm on weekends. But one thing I have absolutely refrained from doing is deep frying.


I am a total sucker when it comes to deep fried food. Yes, yes, I am aware that deep fried food are heaty, packed with calories and blah blah blah... but like my favorite culinary guru, Michael Smith says "everything in moderation". It's not like

Besides, it is an amazing way to christen the kitchen with the aroma of deep fried goodness. So, here you go, the recipe of deep fried tempeh. I hope you enjoy eating tempeh as much as I do. And if you are not a fan of tempeh, you might consider a convert after sampling this.

In the mean time, I am wondering... what's the next deep friend? Onion rings, perhaps?



Deep Fried Tempeh Slices Recipe
This recipe serves 4

5 pcs tempeh (preferably those wrapped with banana leaf and newspaper)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup Kentucky Fried Chicken seasoning powder
pinch salt to season
2 cups vegetable oil


Dipping sauce
2 red chili (if you love spicy food, go for the bird-eye chili,
cili padi)
2 clove garlic
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp soy sauce


1. Slice each piece of tempeh into 3 thin slices, if you like it thick, 2 will do
2. Pour the beaten egg into a wide shallow dish, season with salt (I used seasoned salt)
3. Pour the KFC season powder into another wide shallow dish
4. With one hand dipping the tempeh into the egg mix, followed by another hand mixing it into the season powder.
5. Season each tempeh slice one by one
6. Heat the wok at high fire and when you see the fume, the tempeh slices will be ready for a deep-frying session. Deep fried until the tempeh turn golden on both sides (about 1 ~ 2 minutes depends on your wok)
7. Mix all the ingredients for the dipping sauce to serve together with deep fried tempeh.


Deep fried tempeh served best with dipping sauce.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home